Monday, September 16, 2024

Viswakarma puja!!

 Today is Viswakarma puja. This day is celebrated as the birth of engineer god. In my previous post that I wrote about this day long back.  I was curious as to why it falls on 16th or 17th September every year. It's because this doesn't follow the lunar calendar instead follows the solar calendar. 

All the sankranti's that we have is based on solar calendar. Just like Makar Sankranti. Viswakarma puja is on Kanya Sankranti. 



In my in-laws place this is celebrated in much pump and show because of their travel business. They decorate the vehicles with flowers and then do a puja. In our engineering time, this was a festival for the mechanical and electrical branches. Their equipments used to get a puja. 

Anyway this is in one way day of the engineers too. So, let's celebrate. 

In Odisha, each festival is celebrated in much pump and show in a perticular place. Vishwakarma Puja is celebrated in Pradeep in a grand manner. Large pandals, gates and idols of Viswakarma will be installed in this port town and celebrated today. 

Pradeep has a special corner in my life, as this is the place where I started my schooling. I still remember that cannal that we used cross while going to school. Morning sunrays sparkling over that water, the deer park, Paradeep beach with red crabs and we running behind them. Entering that big ship and watching the humongous machine from its 1st or 2nd floor. The coal and iron ore piles outside the dockyard. My first rath yatra visits. First time I fell badly and my knee had a plaster for days.  Racing with friends in our tricycles. 😂 Buying those orange candies for 10 paise, 20 paise etc. Watching colourfull frogs jumping in water in rainy days. That snake which slept inside my father's shoes. That huge fish that a uncle brought home. Those live sea shells that my father put in a jar for us. That old man who sold peanuts. My father and his friends playing cards in weekends and our mother and aunts preparing foods for all. 

Gone are those beautiful days of my childhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...