Sunday, September 8, 2024

Thoughts on Kudurukuni Osa!!

 When I was a kid, I enjoyed worshipping Maa Mangala on the Kudurukuni festival that happens post Rakshya Bandhan on every Sunday. On this day, my mom would say to take a head bath and not to eat any non-veg. In the evening girls in my colony would do this puja together at one place. When we were too young our mother's used to help us make the decorations, in preparing bhog and doing aarti etc. 

Generally post marriage girls do not do this puja and is passed on to next generation. My first brother is less than 2 yrs younger than me so I don't even remember his birth or anything from that period. 

When I was in 2nd std and my brother was in kindergarten we both used to go to our neighbours place to do this puja. It was so much fun to get together pray, prepare various bhog and distribute among us and in colony. My brother was the only male child performing this puja with us. Not that he had to do anything but he used to be there. 

When I was in 4th std my little brother was born. My parents used to ask my brother if he wanted a brother or sister but noone ever asked me. πŸ˜‚ My first brother used to call me by my nick name and never said didi until I was in 10th std. So, I kept praying in my innocence that I should get another brother who would rather call me didi. And guess what I had my little brother who fondly calls me DD or didi and never deviates from that.

Now the fun part is my first brother has a daughter and I know my mother wishes they have a second child. But, she won't tell them directly. All she will do is tell my sis-in -law to worship on Kudurukuni with her daughter. But, why would she understand what my mother implies. My aunt was telling me this incident and I was telling her why don't you tell that openly. Why you are telling someone to worship without telling the reason behind it? 

And the poor sis-in- law feels my mother wants them to pray for my son. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Why is that required?Sometimes telling the truth can save so much.  Moreover, these generations below us are not good at listening or understanding the perspective of elders. And in order to prove that they have a modern outlook they don't even realise what they are missing.. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...