Thursday, September 12, 2024

Beautiful story of Kedara Gauri!!

My school in 5th std was opposite to Mukteshwar temple in Bhubaneswar. And just beside my school was this temple Kedara Gauri. 

I remember my mom telling me the story of two lovers Kedara and Gauri back in those days. This young couple fled from their village when noone agreed for their marriage. They came inside this forest area and at this place, Gauri was too thirsty. So, Kedara went in search of water for her. He then meets a tiger on his way. While he is fighting with the tiger, Gauri felt something is not right. She then hears tigers roar and fears Kedara to be dead. She writes her name on a tree and then commits suicide in a kunda(water tank) near that place. 




However, Kedara returns after sometime to find Gauri dead. He then writes his name above Gauri's name and kills himself. Later the king of this place created this temple in their memories. 

Some say this is not true. Infact Kedara is another name of Shiva and Gauri is another name of Parvati. Once, Shiva came here to find some peace without informing Parvati. 

Then Parvati came in search of Shiva and found him here. They were thirsty and then Shiva with his trident creates Bindusagar which is adjacent to Lingaraj temple. 

Every year on the eve of Sitala shashti the Shiva Parvati vivah takes place and Lingaraj goes to Kedara Gauri temple. Some say this temple was made in memory of Shiva's father in law Daksha. But it is not named after him. 

We classmates in our innocent childhood used to search for this tree, where Kedara and Gauri is written. 😂😂

I remember once going to this temple. It was noon time or what I don't remember watching any deity there. I just remember a white colour wall inside this temple. Don't know exactly why I never visited this temple again.  Though everyday saw this temple and the Mukteswar temple closely never really got to go inside it. My stay in this old Town Bhubaneswar was very short(less than a year) but going to many maths, lingaraj temple, watching Bindusagar eating bhog from Anantvasudev temple was something that I can never forget. Also I remember once they found a temple beneath a house and archeological department started digging that place. It was beside Bindusagar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...