Saturday, August 17, 2024

Forgive or punish

 Today morning started with the news of Dara Singh who is seeking mercy for his crime against Graham Steins and his sons Timothy and Philip. On one hand we Indians are fighting and supporting to see the criminals of Dr Moumita being punished and on other hand, our BJP govt is seeking mercy for Dara Singh.

During my engineering days, me and my friends went to a tailor in Baripada who happened to be neighbours of Steins family. I remember the girl showing us a small album of pictures they had taken with the kids Timothy, Philip and their elder sister Easter. The girl was crying and yet explaining happily how they used to play together. It was painful to go through that suffering long after the incident at Manoharpur. 

Years later may be in 2022 ..I read a book by Prativa Rai named "Sesha Eswara" meaning the "The last God." In one chapter she has depicted this heinous crime. The plight of two young kids and their father being burnt alive inside the van. It was horrible to go through that pain again. I can't even do justice to the picture that dances in front of my eyes when I think about it. One should read this book if you too want to feel the pain. 

Yet, I remember watching an interview of Glades Steins where she was telling the reporters that she has FORGIVEN the criminals and she does not want to know if they will be punished or freed. Later she got Bharat Ratna and there was debate on this too. Since, Congress decided they wanted her to get Bharat Ratna. Whether that was justified or not I don't know. But, as a mother it is the most difficult thing to forgive the criminals but she did that with so much ease and grace. It remained with me forever. 

I know for sure Dara Singh will be freed, as he served 24 yrs in jail already and if they could let the killers of Rajiv Gandhi go why not Dara Singh?? Whatever it is when Glades Steins can forgive why not we, anyways the pain of losing them remains with her more than anyone in the world.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...