Friday, September 27, 2024

Cooking with my father!!

 It was summer break in my 8th std. My mom had some work in our native village. So, she and my youngest brother went there, leaving me, my brother and my father in Munger. 

We had morning school, so it was now my father's duty to prepare breakfast for us. Normally he would put oil in roti's kept overnight and warm it. My mom would give just 1 or 2 roti's. But, when it was my father feeding us. He would make so many of it.  Both me and my brother would not want to have so much and father would not be satisfied with what we eat. 😆Everyday cakes for lunch box and then it was our cook Prema in the evening who would prepare food for dinner.

Prema used to make delicious Kathal curry(Jackfruit curry). Bihari Kathal curry is really yum and she was superb in making it. My mom still can't make it like her. That taste of her curry is unforgettable. She would come in morning and make lunch for us. When we used to come home after school. It felt so lonely. We would do our homework and then my brother used to go with his friends to play. So, it was me alone and I would watch some shows in tv. 

Then our summer break started. Oneday my father wanted to cook chicken and there was a India team cricket match. So, he had invited his colleagues over to watch this match. I had no knowledge of cooking in those days. But, would assist him. He took out a pressure cooker to make this chicken gravy. I told him this is small one we should rather take the bigger one. But, he was confident that the pressure cooker was fine. So, be it. He prepared all masala and put chicken and kept it for cooking. There was no whistle even after a long time. Finally, he removed it from gas and chicken was all burnt. 😂😂 His colleagues came and my father still served them this burnt chicken for tasting. All of them had it. 😂😂 So, much fun of it. 

The next time I had a cooking experience with him when I had chicken pox in 2008. I  was in nightshift. I went office but could not really sit. My colleagues sent me to dormitory to take rest. It was my first visit to that dormitory. Next day morning I went to doctor and he diagnosed it as chicken pox. My dad immediately rushed to Bangalore to get me home. But, my youngest brother had his board exam. So, instead of going to Cuttack, I went to Vijayawada with my father as he was posted there. I stayed nearly 15 days with him. And then started cooking when felt little better. Oneday I was making basic bhindi fry. Instead of sprinkling little water, I put extra water by mistake. Gone. My father immediately called my mom and started complaining that she knows nothing about cooking.  First time he was mad at me for not knowing to cook. 😂😂

What do I do? When in school or college, he would get angry if he sees me in kitchen. Other than making roti, I never helped my mom in cooking. So, my roti making was perfect. But, cooking any curry was not something I could do. I just saw what she did but never did it. 😂😂 Gone are those beautiful days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...